Monday, January 29, 2007

Por el suelo


So we're sitting here, this Monday night...dinner finished and dishes still in the sink. I'm starting to get into this blogging thing, and Brent's reading up on Mexican travels and dreaming up new adventures. Three months ago, Brent and I took a hike through the snow and early afternoon light. So much has been stirring inside of me since we've moved. I feel torn in between two worlds: the one I left behind in Seattle; the one I am building con mi amor. I am trying to reconcile the "me" I found under the grey and green drizzle- the one who found herself and came alive, with the "me" that is present- fresh and free in the snow and blue expanse yet longing for friendships, purpose, a sense of belonging. Out of desperation I vowed that I would give it my all here in this new place as long as we made a pact: We would take a surf trip for 6 weeks down the coast of Mexico this summer. Maybe I just needed something to look forward to. Something that would remind me of who I am and the travel I want to build my life around. Something to hang on to.
From pact to plan....True to his word, Brent is busy making this dream happen. He is pouring over maps, travel guides, narratives, searching for surf boards, making a budget. It looks like we will be packing our bags and heading west, California, Seattle, Baja and Central Pacific Mexico at our fingertips. Vaya sin pensamientos.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Hola amigos! It was so much fun reading about your adventures, both now and coming up in the near future. Fantastic writing too, made us laugh. I look forward to sitting face to face over breakfast and catching up...sometime! Much love.